Laurel, MD, 20707
Joined on July, 2014
Any day at any time
Up to 20 minutes away for no additional charge
EducationMaster of Education, Cambridge College, Massachusetts
ExperienceSUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS AT A GLANCE ...
• ONE-ON-ONE IN-HOME/GROUP TUTORING/INSTRUCTION
• HIGHLY MOTIVATED / SELF-DIRECTED / SELF-STARTER
• 16-years co-owner of state certified after-school program
• Child/Youth Advocate – skillful in communicating with, and between teachers and parents on behalf of child’s unique / overall scholastic concerns
• Demonstrated direct-time experience in child’s home-setting, aimed to expand promote, integrate, and ensure fulfillment of targeted objectives and goals
• Implement practical skill-behavior strategy-model that integrates key components of studying with a purpose, which include subject-matter review, time management and test-taking tips
• Specialize in aiding and empowering youth understand, evaluate, develop, and unleash behaviors and attitudes that are in harmony with home, school, and community values
• 6-years managerial experience in residential programs for youth (13-18 years old); 7-years vocational / counseling experience with youth - 14-21 years old
• Invaluable understanding of whether or not youth will thrive academically in a given quarter or academic year based on conduct, behavior, and work habits
• Knowledgeable and Proficient connecting youth/parents to community services
• Possess knowledge of child development; including physical, mental, emotional and ethnicity
• Experience facilitating youth/family and/or group counseling; personalized one-on-one guidance and mentoring/coaching
2012 – Current
Head Instructor Laurel Boys & Girls Club After School Program – In addition to overseeing and approving k-8th grade students’ homework which span all subject areas; supervise teachers who assist; facilitate all summer program activities.
2013 – Present
Psychiatric Rehabilitation Coordinator (Independent Contractor): Innovative Therapeutic Services – Assist and develop activities for both groups, and individuals to enhance functioning consistent with clients’ Individual Rehabilitation Plans; organize projects and activities that motivate clients, and give practice opportunities to enhance skills – Autistic clients included.
2012 – Close of Academic School Year, June 2014
In-Person/In-Home Tutor - Akari Tutoring – Provide one-on-one / group instruction, and help students develop individualized learning plans; intense focus on study skills and homework; k-12th.
2010 – Current
Wyzant Online Tutoring (Individual Study Skills Tutor & College Counseling) – Review k-12th grade students’ progress reports and report card; arrange meaningful quarterly activities for students and their families; ensure students have the academic and family support services they need to succeed. Also, work with families 11th-12th grade to ensure all necessary forms are sent in and all financial requirements met for their chosen college so that students can begin classes in the fall without complications.
August 2011 – Present
Tutor - ClubZ In Home OutreachTutoring: Pre/Post testing, and tutoring students in compliance with NCLB / SES (No Child Left Behind / Supplemental Educational Support) Program.
1995 – 2011
Co-Owner: Home Away From Home Childcare Services of RI - State certified childcare service with emphasis on developmental needs of the total child, including physical, emotional, intellectual and social growth. Established after school program in 1996 - intense focus on tutoring, homework, and study skills.
1995 – 1996
Consultant: Multicultural Consultants of New England, Providence, RI – Coordinated the establishment of services at courthouse in Woonsocket for men on probation for domestic violence. Facilitated individual and group counseling in a skill-building training format with emphases on anger management/control techniques.
1994 to 1995
Master’s Level Clinical Social Worker: RI Youth Correctional Center, Cranston, RI – Evaluated clients and developed individual treatment and discharge plans; provided individual and group counseling for incarcerated offenders of minor and majority age. Led individual and family therapy sessions.
1989 – 1995
Program Manager: John Hope Settlement House Supervised Living Program for Boys – Prepared behaviorally challenged youth aged 17-21 for transition out of substitute care, and into the community, stressing the promotion of self-sufficiency through the teaching of independent life skills strategies. Supervised staff of 6.
1982 – 1989
Counselor / Child Advocate: Opportunities Industrialization Center (OIC of RI) – With caseload of up to 26 clients, provided appropriate counseling and relevant community resource services to adjudicated youth aged 16-21 with emphasis on adjustment problems and other areas of difficulty which threaten their successful participation within the community.
1982 – 1985
Court Appointed Special Advocate: RI Family Court, Providence, RI – Alongside (now Superior Court Judge) Mary Lisi as immediate supervisor, appeared at court hearings and trials regarding dependent children to elaborate on reports / findings gathered through my investigation of parental abuse and neglect, and to submit recommendations in best interest of child.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
Graduate Studies Preparation Program (GSPP), Cambridge College
Cambridge, Massachusetts ~ 1994
(Master of Education) M.Ed., Counseling Psychology, Cambridge College
Cambridge, Massachusetts ~ 1995
HobbiesSoon-to-be-published Author; Pescatarian, Athletic, Voracious Reader.
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.